Section 17 of the Crime & Disorder Act 1998 placed a new duty on Police and Local Authorities to consider crime and disorder and community safety in all their activities.
It is the responsibility of Folkestone Town Council to have due regard to this when exercising its various duties and responsibilities. The Council is committed to doing all it can to prevent crime and disorder in Folkestone. To achieve this, it closely monitors and reviews the work it carries out to ensure it meets this obligation as well as considering crime and disorder reduction in everything it does.
The Town Council also works closely with Police and local agencies to prevent and combat crime and disorder within the community in the following ways:
- Attendance at Folkestone & Hythe Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meetings relating to events hosted by the Town Council. The Group brings together relevant regulatory authorities to assist event organisers to conduct safe and lawful events. The Council consults this group in relation to Armed Forces Day and Christmas Festivities & Light Switch-On.
- Managing Public Realm CCTV in Folkestone.
- Direct liaison with Police and other agencies including FHDC Community Safety Group and FAPAC.
- Inviting the Police to attend Council events and meetings, with the aim of maintaining and improving the crucial link with the community.
- Supporting initiatives within the Town that assist with crime and disorder prevention.